Gluten and I have a complicated relationship made worse by the fact that my husband LOVES good bread. I’m moderately allergic to wheat, so I try to pick my battles.
I keep a starter going so I can bake bread for him, or those occasions when I want to splurge. But sometimes a busy schedule means spur of the moment meals and no fed starter to get bread going.
Enter the quick 3 ingredient no-knead skillet bread.
With just flour, salt, yeast and water it becomes a blank canvas for add-in’s like cheese, garlic, herbs, vegetable like roasted red peppers, even meats. The best part is that it doesn’t require a 24 hour rest. It makes a smaller loaf as well, perfect for dinner with leftovers for slicing for sandwiches’or toast’the next day.
- 2 cups water warm
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- (optional) cheese, meats, a handful of herbs?whatever makes you happy, or omit it entirely
- Fill a 2 cup or larger measuring cup with warm water, sprinkle yeast over the top and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and and any add-in?s until well combined
- Make a well on the Center of the flour, and begin to pour in the water and yeast while stirring with a rubber or silicone spatula to combine
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and move it to a warm and draft free spot and it to rise for about one hour, or until doubled in size
- Oil a 10? skillet (bottom and sides), then gently loosen the risen dough from the bowl with a clean rubber/silicone spatula and transfer it to the oiled skillet. Cover again with a towel (I use a large overturned stainless steel bowl and let it rest for another 30 minutes)
- Preheat your oven to 450F. Bake the bread for approximately 30 minutes
- ?Allow the bread cool in the skillet for 10 minutes, then carefully remove it from the skillet to a wire rack and allow it to cool before slicing
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 627mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 0g Protein: 12g