While I love the classic recipe that’s loaded with butter, chicken and cheese, I thought it was time to start sharing some of the plant based recipes I’ve been making for many, many years as well, and this version was top on my list to start with
My recipe for Chicken Riggies is one of the most popular on my blog. The Utica favorite is loved by people across the country who can’t get enough of the creamy rich dish. I love it too, and recipes like that so nice on chilly evenings or Sunday family supper. Let’s be real, it would be good for breakfast on a Tuesday or any time, who needs a reason?!?
While I love the classic recipe that’s loaded with butter, chicken and cheese, I thought it was time to start sharing some of the plant based recipes I’ve been making for many, many years as well, and this version was top on my list to start with.
The best part of Chicken Riggies is the rich and spicy sauce, and I need to be cautious with the amount of wheat I consume, so swapping out the chicken for cubes of tender pan fried potatoes, ditching the pasta altogether, and using a vegan/plant based butter substitute along with nutritional yeast really does the job.
As with all my recipes, there is room for some creativity here, and my favorite is to use half the potatoes and add in some white beans or garbanzos, and a handful of greens. You can also use a vegan Parmesan substitute, but I am not a fan, the nutritional yeast does a fine job here
- 8 medium Potatoes washed peeled and halved
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 4-6 Cherry Peppers (Pimento) quartered
- 1 cup Roasted Red Peppers diced
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Marinara
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock or my Garlic Soup
- 1 Earth Balance Buttery Baking Stick
- 1/2 the cream from a can of Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender, strain, pat dry and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes cool, Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large skillet over a medium flame. Add onions and sauté until golden. Add diced red peppers and garlic and reduce the heat to low.
- Dice the potatoes in a 1” dice, and add to the pan with another 1 tbsp of oil. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes, reduce the heat to low, and add the wine with care, along with the cherry peppers. Stir gently until reduced by half. About 3-5 minutes
- Add the stock and marinara, stir to combine. Simmer over medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes and reduced by half.
- Add the buttery stick 1 tablespoon at a time stirring gently to combine, then the coconut milk and nutritional yeast, followed by the red pepper if you want extra heat. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 830 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 830mg Carbohydrates: 99g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 15g Protein: 17g
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, and Vegan / Plant Based. If you don’t mind using Ghee, you could eliminate the vegan butter substitute and use more stock for the wine and the dish would be Whole30 compliant as well.