A Halloween Treat for the grownups!
Why should the kids have all the fun’ Put them to bed, grab a mug and enjoy this decadent, rich and chocolatey treat for yourself!
Until we moved to the farm we lived in urban residential neighborhoods filled with young families like ours. 200 or more kids in an evening of Halloween trick or treating was normal, I LOVE Halloween and used to make crazy costumes for my daughter. I found out later that she was humoring me because I loved it so much. She’s a good kid. Ironically, my husband always seemed to have to work late on Halloween until we moved here, and had one trick or treater the first year. One. Now he’s always home’ Hmmmm…
My daughter is married now and lives out of state so it’s just my husband and I, and the dogs. We aren’t Halloween party kind of people, but I try to do something fun just commemorate the day, after all, he did come home with a bag of candy for the kids, that won’t be coming.
Before I share this recipe, let me just say that being a recipe and food blogger has built in benefits, like making boozy beverages at 10am on a Wednesday! Built on the classic Hot Buttered Rum recipe, it’s rich and decadent and if we kid ourselves, we can sub things like raw cacao for the cocoa powder and it becomes a superfood! Kidding aside, I have made this using plant based ingredients as well so if you’re looking for a vegan friendly treat, just substitute coconut cream for the heavy cream, and earth balance buttery sticks for the butter. It’s absolutely delicious, and the coconut cream adds a nice extra layer of flavor. If you’re making this for two, just divide all the ingredients in half, but I suggest making it for 4 and using nice big mugs!
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons dark or regular cocoa (I use raw cacao)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon/pinch ground ginger (optional, but I love it)
- 1/8 teasoon/pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup Bourbon (I used Jim Beam Double Oaked)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 cups boiling water
- If using a blender, vitamix or ninja type blender, just add all the ingredients and blend for 15-20 seconds. Use care when opening as pressure from the heat will build. Serve with a dash of cinnamon. This method produces a frothy rich latte type cup that is out of this world. Do it this way, really.
- Traditional method ? cream together the sugar and butter, add the remaining dry ingredients and mix. Add the Bourbon, half and half, and the the hot water. Stir to combine and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 954 Total Fat: 53g Saturated Fat: 33g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 108mg Carbohydrates: 72g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 69g Protein: 3g